Maintaining city streets during winter storm conditions is the responsibility of the streets department along with other divisions within the Department of Public Works. The goal of the department is to provide safe roadways with the primary emphasis being major arterial streets, major intersections, bridges and primary streets to the hospital and schools. The snow removal operations begin for the streets when there is an accumulation of 3 inches of snow or more.
A variety of ice and snow control methods are used for maintaining city streets during winter storms events including the use of snow plows, motor graders and sanders. Providing the public with the safest roads possible while using available products and equipment in the most efficient and responsible manner is the goal of the Public Works Department.
Snow Removal Reminders:
- Please remove your cars from the streets within 24 hours. It is best not to park your car on the roadway when there is a snow event.
- Remove your emptied refuse containers as soon as possible.
- Do not park in front of your driveway
- Do not blow the snow from your driveway or sidewalk onto the roadway
- Remove the snow from the sidewalks abutting your property within 24 hours of a snow storm ending.
These reminders will help your neighborhood and the City of Fergus Falls with the snow removal process.