To register to vote, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen
- At least 18 years old on Election Day
- A resident of Minnesota for 20 days
- Finished with all parts of any felony sentence
- You can vote while under guardianship unless a judge specifically has revoked your right to vote.
- You cannot vote if a court has ruled that you are legally incompetent.
Check Your Voter Registration Status
See if you are registered to vote in Minnesota.
Moved? Changed Names? Haven't Voted Within Four Years?
You must re-register each time you change address, change names or do not vote at least once during a four year period. Update your registration by completing a new registration application.
You are encouraged to register before Election Day to save time at the polling place.
- Register online — deadline is 11:59 p.m., 21 days before Election Day.
- Register by mail — applications must be received by your election office by 5 p.m., 21 days before Election Day.
- Register on Election Day
Register to Vote on Your Driver's License Application
You can also register to vote by checking a box on your driver’s license application or renewal form.
Update Your Registration When You Move
If you move to a new Minnesota residence, you can submit a United States Postal Service (USPS) change-of-address form. USPS will notify election officials of the change. If election officials can match the record in their system, they will update your address and mail a green confirmation postcard to you.
Party Affiliation Not Recorded
When registering in Minnesota, you are not required or asked to publicly declare affiliation with a political party. Minnesota does not have political party registration.
Get Proof of Registration
Proof of registration can be obtained from your county elections office.
Correct an Error on Your Registration Record
If you note a typo in your name on the confirmation postcard your receive after registering, contact your county elections office.
Confidentiality of Voter Registration Data
Read the Voter Registration Confidentiality Notice to learn how voter registration data can and cannot be used.